Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Catch the Gobbler

The first year Trav and I were married we ran a 5K race on Thanksgiving morning called "Catch the Gobbler." It was and still is the longest distance I've ever run! I trained for a few months since I'm really not at all a runner and it felt great! Plus I didn't feel quite so guilty gorging myself on Thanksgiving day after having run the longest race of my life! I know, I'm making a 3 mile jog sound like the Olympics! But I skipped 2 years and decided that this year I want to run it again. So I started my official training today. When I got home I set my odometer to 0 and drove around my entire neighborhood to measure the distance. It's only 1/2 a mile. So since I can't walk both my dogs at once, I put Tuck's leash on first and we ran about 1/4 a mile before I had to stop. I like to tell myself that Tuck was too tired but it was really me! Then I switched dogs and Jane really isn't a very good runner so we only ran a few blocks before she was stopping to smell everything. So all in all I probably ran about...1/4 plus an 1/8 of a mile...math is not my strongest skill either! I'll know I'll get better (at running, not math) just in time to Catch the Gobbler!

6 comments:

Jill said...

Good for you Emily! Keep it up!

Mindy said...

The kids and I have run/jogged/walked the Summer Games 5k a few times. It was really fun and made us feel like we accomplished something. So does this mean you are not planning on Thanksgiving at moms? I think we are...the first time in too long!
Also, we just booked our spring break in Mexico. I really want the kids to see what a different country is like. So can we come and spend the night at your house on March 15? Its a sunday.

Anonymous said...

Emily, running with dogs ought to count for double the distance.
I'm proud of you for doing this again. Does this mean we won't see you for Thanksgiving?

Mom

Emily West said...

Mom-I'll probably come down on Friday morning after Thanksgiving. It's our year to be here for Thanksgiving and at your house for Christmas.

Keri Kemp said...

hehe its 2/12! [i think] :) the longest i have ran is about 2 miles...12 blocks?

Andrew and Kristin Briggs said...

Em,

How are you? I miss you and I think about you a lot. I will hear something or say something or see something that reminds me of you and I get to laugh because we had lots of things to giggle about. Andrew and I ran a 5k on the 4th of July and I was really proud of myself. I have some friends down here that I go running with otherwise I don't think I would do it. Hey, fall always reminds me of your wedding. Happy Anniversary! I am not sure of the day but I remember it was in the fall. Love ya